Terms and Conditions of Entry
- The promoter of the SPIRIT Image of the Year 2020 Competition (“Competition”) is the University of Western Australia (ABN 37 882 817 280) of 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, Western Australia 6009 (“UWA‟).
- Details on eligibility, how to enter and the prizes for the Competition are set out in these terms and conditions of entry (“Terms and Conditions”). By entering into this Competition, entrants are deemed to have accepted these Terms and Conditions.
- To the extent of any inconsistency between these Terms and Conditions and any other reference to this Competition, these Terms and Conditions prevail.
Who can enter
- Subject to clause 5, any primary or secondary student within Australia, who has fulfilled the requirements set out in these Terms and Conditions is eligible to enter the Competition. Entrants under the age of 15 must provide parental consent to enter.
- Employees of UWA or its associated agencies and companies, and their immediate family members are eligible to enter this Competition.
- UWA or its contractor or agent may, in their absolute discretion, disqualify an entrant for any reason including breaching these terms and conditions, or acceptable or reasonable standards of safety, conduct and respect.
How to enter
- Eligible persons may enter the Competition by submitting images in a digital format that have been created using data from any SPIRIT telescope. Entries can be submitted by completing the entry form at spirit.icrar.org.
- UWA has the discretion to deem incomprehensible, illegible, non-compliant and incomplete entries invalid.
Number of entries permitted
- Entrants may submit multiple entries to the competition, with no limit on the number of entries.
Prizes on offer
- The total value of the prize pool is $200AUD.
- The prizes are a trophy and print of the winning image.
- The prize is subject to the following rules:
- the prize-winning entries shall be selected by UWA at its absolute discretion (subject to clause 15);
- the prize must be taken as stated at clause 10 and is non-transferable, non-exchangeable and not redeemable for cash;
- if the specified prize becomes unavailable for any reason, UWA may, but is under no obligation to, substitute a prize of like or equal value;
- any tax payable as a result of the prize being awarded or received will be the prize winner’s responsibility;
- UWA takes no responsibility for the loss of the prize or the inability of the prize winner to use the prize due to incorrect or imprecise delivery details provided by the prize winner, or otherwise; and
- UWA makes no representations or warranties as to the quality, suitability, merchantability of the Prize.
- The winner acknowledges and agrees that no other payment, cost, fee or prize is payable to the winner by UWA other than as expressly stated in clauses 10 and 11
Open, close and draw and publish dates
- The competition commences on Wednesday the 14th of October, 2020 at 12:01am AWST and closes on Friday the 4th of December, 2020 at 11:59pm AWST (“Promotional Period‟). Entries must be received by UWA during the Promotional Period to be valid. Entries received after this time will not be included in the Competition and UWA accepts no responsibility for late, lost, misdirected, incorrect or invalid entries.
- The prize winner will be determined by UWA via judging on the image’s artistic and technical merits.
- The prize selection will take place on Friday the 29th of January, 2021 at 10:00am AWST.
- The winner will be notified by phone or email by February 20th, 2021.
- The prize must be claimed by the winner by April 30th, 2021. Winners will be required to claim their prize by collecting it from UWA. Details of where and how to collect the prize will be provided by UWA at the time it notifies the winner.
- If the prize is not claimed by April 30th, 2021, UWA will post the prize to the winner. UWA will not be responsible for the prize once it is posted.
Publicity of Competition
- It is a condition of entry in the Competition that UWA has the right to publish the name, image, voice, photograph or video of entrants (“Materials”) for any matter incidental to the Competition or the promotion or marketing of UWA.
- UWA may use such Materials in any medium including without limiting on its website or other electronic means, in any reasonable manner it sees fit.
Privacy and miscellaneous
- All entries become the property of UWA once submitted.
- By submitting an entry, the entrant acknowledges and agrees that it is giving UWA permission to use their entry for marketing, publicity or promotional purposes.
- Except for any liability that cannot be excluded by law, UWA (including its officers, employees and agents) excludes all liability (including negligence), for any personal injury; or any loss or damage (including loss of opportunity) whether direct, indirect, special or consequential, arising in any way out of the Competition, including, but not limited to, liabilities arising from or in connection with:
- any technical difficulties or equipment malfunction (whether or not under UWA’s control);
- any theft, unauthorized access or third party interference;
- any entry or prize claim that is late, lost, altered, damaged or misdirected (whether or not after their receipt by UWA) due to any reason beyond the reasonable control of UWA;
- any variation in prize value to that stated in these Terms and Conditions;
- any tax liability incurred by a winner or entrant;
- redemption of the prize; and
- participation in the Competition
- UWA reserves the right to suspend, cancel or otherwise close the competition earlier than is stated in these terms and conditions for safety, security, technical failures, weather conditions or any other causes which affect the proper administration, fairness or security of the Competition.
For more information
- For more information please contact Kirsten Gottschalk, via firstname.lastname@example.org.